11 Resources to Help Write Your Resume
Resumes are a crucial part of any job search and can either help you stand out from the crowd, or totally rule out your candidacy.
Check out these 11 resources that can help with your next resume makeover:
For choosing a resume format…
- If you’re thinking about switching industries or making a career transition, a skills-based resume may be the best option for you. To find out more about a skills-based resume and how to create one, check out this webinar.
- Choosing how to best display and format your experiences can be tricky, too. Consider whether you should utilize a chronological or functional resume format before you sit down to write.
For building a resume…
- The Levo Resume app takes the information from your Levo League account profile and allows you to make edits. After you’ve made the necessary changes, Levo Resume will format your information into an eye-pleasing resume format.
- VisualCV lets you restyle your entire resume with a new template without having to start from scratch. When you create an account, you’re given the chance to upload your current resume. VisualCV then imports all of your information into a new template of your choosing.
- Google Resume Builder asks you to fill out a form with fields like your contact information, education, and work experience. After completing all of this basic information, you’re given three different template styles to choose from. Google Resume Builder then creates and formats your resume for you in a Google Document that you’re able to edit and make changes to if need be.
For a quick resume update…
- Need a ten minute makeover? Make some quick updates to your resume to be up to date with the current resume trends.
- Got 30 minutes to update your resume? Follow this brief 3-step strategy to make the most important updates without needing a total resume overhaul.
- No matter how rushed you are, proofread, proofread, proofread! Avoid making some of the most common mistakes that hiring managers see on applicants’ resumes. Making these errors could be just the thing to cost you the call-back.
For real-life resume assistance…
- When updating your resume, don’t neglect to reach out to your own network and colleagues in your field. Real professionals can provide more assistance with polishing your resume than these resources alone. Swapping resumes with a colleague can also be a great way to give one another feedback.
- For as little as $5 you can get resume assistance from a professional on Fiverr. You can receive assistance with writing, formatting, proofing, or have resumes specifically created for a particular job posting.
- If you’re an alumni or current student of a higher education institution, check out your school’s career center. College or university career services departments often offer resources and resume reviews to current students and alumni.
Know someone in need of a resume makeover? Find these resources helpful? Share this post with a friend to help lift as you climb!
LIKE THIS POST?
Then you’ll love our FREE job search checklist!
Download yours now:
Jackie Butler received her Master of Public Administration degree from Texas Tech University and earned her Bachelors in Public Management & Policy at the University of Arizona. Jackie has a passion for leadership, management, digital marketing, and swimming education. She previously served as Bossed Up’s Digital Director, but has since moved on to be a data specialist for a non-profit in her hometown.